Friday, February 21, 2014

Absolutes and Brian Function

By: Ali D.


On the subject of Argument and Logic I have had quite a bit of experience since my freshman year of high school till my now second semester of college.  Argumentation to me is being able to state your point and get it across clearly and cleanly while logic is used to back up your claims and support your details.
Things have always been slightly harder for me because every time I argue my point I get discouraged or someone shoots me down and I retreat inward and run away for it.  Probably not the best thing in the world to do because people see me as a pansy sometimes but it is how I avoided a lot of bullying when I was younger. 
Now as I have gotten older and had different outlooks on life I realized that I could argue my point with logical things to back up my point and make it seem more valid to others and keep people from bullying me as much.  Well that actually backfired on me in my senior year of high school.
 I was arguing a point in my English class and from the back corner of the room all I could hear were the words “Sit down and shut your fat mouth already, you’re too smart for your own good.  Things like that could get you in trouble one day.”  All my hard work seemed to go down the drain but instead of crawling back into myself and turning away I faced it head on and stuck with my point.
I finished my argumentative speech and then at the end I looked toward the back corner, smiled and said, “Just because I am too smart for my own good in your eyes doesn’t mean I won’t go places.  A teacher always had a motto that said ‘Be nice to the geeks and nerds, you never know when you might be working for one of them.’ So no matter what you say to me I will keep doing my best cause I know I can.”
Now looking back on everything I have done when it comes to arguments and logic I realize that all I have to do is remember that all the knowledge in the world is waiting to be unlocked and logic is the key, arguing can help you get past the problems in your way to using your logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment